Search This Blog

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Advice for People that need things (or that want to tell me about Jesus)

Disclaimer: Sorry for all of these little blurbs that are not exciting and not relevant to traveling, but I've been busy with school (my second class is much harder than the first) and I don't have time to write up big stories.

Anyways, I spent the morning in the library today because my 3 hour morning lecture was cancelled today because our midterm essays are due tomorrow. (First session I had a day off after my midterm, so a day off is not crazy out of the ordinary.) I still had discussion/tutorial/section/whatever you want to call it for an hour in the afternoon. So I left the library (after 5 hours) about 15 minutes before my class was to start at 3 PM. Since there's no real central campus, the walk is along a big street in London.

It's not uncommon here or in Berkeley for people to stop me when I'm walking to class and ask me for directions or something like that. So today as I was walking someone stopped me and seemed like the needed something.

Him: Excuse me
Me: Yes...
Him: "Hi, we're from a Christian Fellowship and..."
Me(interrupting): "Sorry, I have to go to class. I don't have time."

As I walked away I felt kind of bad. I guess that he could have been saying "We're from a Christian Fellowship and we got lost and need directions" or "We're from a Christian Fellowship and there's a man chasing us with a knife," but I'm so used to people coming up to tell me about Christianity when I don't have time that I assumed that they were going to tell me about the bible.

So here's a lesson in either case:

For missionaries: Don't come up to people walking on the street. They're going somewhere and probably won't listen to you.

For people that need something: Don't lead the conversation with "We're from a Christian Fellowship..."

No comments:

Post a Comment